Monday June 12th-Friday June 16th 2017
Full amount of tour-price due: Monday April 10th 2017
Tour-price per head: £990.00
The railways across Devon and into Cornwall are famous for spectacular scenery and magnificent engineering, and most of all for the work of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
This tour visits his Royal Albert Bridge, Saltash and the remains of his atmospheric railway at Starcross Pumping Station, alongside a contrasting visit to part of the rival L&SWR main line through Okehampton to Meldon Viaduct.
It goes off the beaten track to see the early Haytor Granite Tramway and Morwellham Quay to illustrate the horse-drawn and navigable river traffic that preceded the nineteenth-century steam railways.
The tour also includes visits to South Devon’s two celebrated heritage railways, the South Devon Railway and the Dartmouth Steam Railway.
Half-board accommodation is at the beautiful and celebrated Dartington Hall, and the programme includes a tour of the house and gardens.
Tour begins: Monday June 12th 2017, 6.30pm
Tour ends: Friday June 16th 2017, 4.30pm
Accommodation: Dartington Hall, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 6EL
- Dartington Hall is a three-mile taxi-ride away from Totnes main-line railway station
- to participate fully guests need to be able to walk and stand in and out of doors for up to 90 minutes at a time
- stout footwear and outdoor clothing are recommended
- the full visit to the Haytor Granite Tramway involves about a mile of walking over moorland, weather permitting, but a more accessible view of the tramway is available in case of bad weather and for those who do not wish to walk so far
- four nights’ half-board accommodation
- two lunches
- coach-travel, heritage rail and ferry travel and admissions to sites throughout
To book this tour, please download the tour outline, booking form and terms and conditions, and post the completed booking form with an initial deposit cheque for £60.00 for each place, payable to Norman Allen Group Travel Ltd, to Mike Higginbottom Interesting Times, 63 Vivian Road, Sheffield, S5 6WJ.
All Mike Higginbottom Interesting Times holidays are booked with and operated by Norman Allen Group Travel Ltd (ABTA W9928).