Monday October 2nd-Friday October 6th 2017
Full amount of tour-price due: Monday July 24th 2017
Tour-price per head: £990.00
Sheffield’s world-wide fame as the City of Steel grew from its reputation for producing high-quality cutlery and edge-tools and its pre-eminence in manufacturing heavy specialist steels.
Sheffield was the “armoury of England” in both World Wars, and suffered considerable damage in the 1940 Blitz. Dramatic changes followed the decline of the steel industry in the 1980s: modern Sheffield is an eye-opener to newcomers and to those who remember the “ugly picture in a beautiful frame” of years ago.
This tour is based in the heart of the city, in the Leopold Hotel, formerly the offices of the Sheffield School Board, and highlights the city’s long history with visits to Manor Lodge and the former parish church, now Sheffield Cathedral.
The itinerary features Sheffield’s industry by visiting the Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, Shepherd Wheel, the Doncaster Street Cementation Furnace, Kelham Island Industrial Museum and Magna, which recreates the “Big Melt” of the electric-arc furnace in the former Steel, Peech & Tozer mill at Templeborough.
Walking tours explore the water-powered sites of the Porter Valley and Neepsend, the Victorian elegance of the Botanical Gardens and General Cemetery and the variety of city centre buildings and open spaces including the Winter Garden and Millennium Gallery.
Tour begins: Monday October 2nd 2017, 6.30pm
Tour ends: Friday October 6th 2017, 4.00pm
Accommodation: Leopold Hotel, 2 Leopold St, Leopold Square, Sheffield S1 2GZ
- The Leopold Hotel is easily accessible by tram from Sheffield Station
- to participate fully guests need to be able to walk and stand in and out of doors for up to 90 minutes at a time
- stout footwear and outdoor clothing are recommended
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday’s itineraries are partly by public transport. Participants who do not hold a National Bus Pass will be provided with appropriate Sheffield TravelMaster tickets
- four nights’ half-board accommodation
- three lunches
- coach-travel and travel by public transport
To book this tour, please download the tour outline, booking form and terms and conditions, and post the completed booking form with an initial deposit cheque for £60.00 for each place, payable to Norman Allen Group Travel Ltd, to Mike Higginbottom Interesting Times, 63 Vivian Road, Sheffield, S5 6WJ.
All Mike Higginbottom Interesting Times holidays are booked with and operated by Norman Allen Group Travel Ltd (ABTA W9928).