Wednesday September 18th-Sunday September 22nd 2019
Full amount of tour-price due: Monday June 24th 2019
Tour-price per head: £995.00
Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-1852) was the first and foremost architect of the Victorian Gothic Revival. Because of the link with his patron, John, 16th Earl of Shrewsbury (1791-1852), many of Pugin’s significant buildings are in the North Midlands.
This tour, based in Stoke-on-Trent, makes it possible to see most of Pugin’s major work for the Earl, including Alton Towers, Alton Castle and the great parish church of St Giles’, Cheadle.
There are visits to other Pugin churches, such as St Mary’s Church, Derby, St Barnabas’ Cathedral, Nottingham and St Chad’s Cathedral, Birmingham.
To illustrate Pugin’s influence on later Victorian architects, the itinerary includes George Frederick Bodley’s magnificent Church of the Holy Angels, Hoar Cross.
Tour begins: Wednesday September 18th 2019, 6.30pm
Tour ends: Sunday September 22nd, 5.00pm
Accommodation: Best Western Stoke-on-Trent Moat House Hotel, Etruria Hall, Festival Way, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 5BQ
- people with sensory or other physical limitations are very welcome, but to participate fully guests need to be able to walk and stand in and out of doors for up to 90 minutes at a time
- stout footwear and outdoor clothing are recommended
- the Best Western Stoke-on-Trent Moat House Hotel is a ten-minute taxi-ride from Stoke-on-Trent railway station
- four nights’ half-board accommodation
- four lunches
- coach-travel and admission to heritage sites
For background information on some of the sites included in this tour, please click here.
To book this tour, please download the tour outline, booking form, optional travel-insurance information and terms and conditions, and post the completed booking form with an initial deposit cheque for £100.00 for each place, payable to Norman Allen Group Travel Ltd, to Mike Higginbottom Interesting Times, 63 Vivian Road, Sheffield, S5 6WJ.
All Mike Higginbottom Interesting Times holidays are booked with and operated by Norman Allen Group Travel Ltd (ABTA W9928).