The Abbeydale Picture Palace is Sheffield’s finest surviving suburban cinema, listed Grade II, and once again showing films and other entertainments while it awaits a full restoration.
It was designed by a Newcastle architect, Pascal J Steinlet, as a theatre as well as a cinema. It has a generous stage with a fly tower, and the safety curtain is probably the only remaining cinema “iron” intact and in situ, with period advertisements, in the UK.
It opened in 1920 and closed in 1975, after which it was used as an office-equipment showroom and later an amateur drama centre.
It is now operates as a multipurpose entertainment venue and once again gives pleasure to audiences and visitors.