The great rival of Thomas Sergenson, Blackpool’s late-Victorian theatre impresario, was William Holland (1837-1895), “the People’s Caterer”, who first made his name managing the Canterbury Music Hall, Lambeth [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canterbury_Music_Hall].
Bill Holland was employed by the Winter Gardens Company specifically to counter the competition from Sergenson.
Against the opposition of a number of Winter Gardens directors, including the chairman, Dr Cocker, Bill Holland proposed and carried through the construction of the predecessor of the present-day Opera House, designed by Frank Matcham and built in nine months flat at a cost of £9,098. It opened with a D’Oyly Carte production, The Yeomen of the Guard, on June 10th 1889.
As part of the same project, Frank Matcham redesigned the Winter Gardens Pavilion in the form of a proscenium-arched theatre.
Holland promoted an all-day admission charge of 6d which included operatic ballet spectaculars directed by John Tiller. Fixed budget catering also appealed to thrifty Blackpool holidaymakers: “One Shilling Dinner and One Shilling Tea. Plenty of Everything. Help Yourself!”
Bill Holland apparently owned an old grey parrot, which he had trained to say “Going to see Bill Holland’s ballet?” For the Winter Gardens, he initiated The Great Parrot Scheme: he bought a hundred parrots, each in a cage marked “Blackpool Winter Gardens – Two Shows Daily”.
The birds were lined up in rows four deep and trained to repeat the grey parrot’s message and were allegedly placed all the leading hotels and restaurants of Lancashire and Yorkshire.
The total investment in the Opera House and associated extensions cost the Winter Gardens Company approximately £14,000: gross receipts trebled between 1887 and 1891 to £36,000 and the dividend reached 8%.
In response to the opening of the Tower in 1893, Bill Holland persuaded the directors to install electric lighting throughout the Winter Gardens at a cost of £3,307, and to pay an additional £975 to buy out Dr Cocker’s 1875 covenant against dancing, so that he could plan the Empress Ballroom, designed by Mangnall & Littlewood of Manchester (who shortly afterwards built Morecambe’s Victoria Pavilion), with a barrel-vault roof, a balcony promenade and a proscenium stage.
The Empress Ballroom was at the time one of the largest in the world, 189ft × 110ft, with a dancing-area of 12,500 square feet.
The Art Nouveau decorative scheme included plasterwork by J M Boekbinder and twenty-eight Doulton tile panels of female figures symbolising jewels by William J Neatby.
It opened in 1896, the year after Bill Holland’s death.
The Tower Company paid him a posthumous compliment by refurbishing their somewhat functional Assembly Hall as the sumptuous Tower Ballroom.
For details of Mike Higginbottom’s lectures on seaside architecture, Away from it all: the heritage of holiday resorts, Beside the Seaside: the architecture of British coastal resorts, Blackpool’s Seaside Heritage and Yorkshire’s Seaside Heritage, please click here.
The 80-page, A4 handbook for the 2013 Lancashire’s Seaside Heritage tour, with text, photographs, maps and a reading list, is available for purchase, price £15.00 including postage and packing. To view sample pages click here. Please send a cheque, payable to Mike Higginbottom, to 63 Vivian Road, Sheffield, S5 6WJ.