Birmingham’s answer to New York’s Flatiron Building is commonly known as the Red Palace, standing at the sharp angle between Constitution Hill and Hampton Street.
Originally it was the factory-workshop of H B Sale, die-sinkers.
Designed by William Doubleday & James R Shaw in 1895-6, it demonstrates the value of terra-cotta as a material that was relative cheap to manufacture and produced rich architectural effects – in this case, according to Andy Foster’s Pevsner Architectural Guide, Birmingham (2005), “eclectic Gothic with Spanish touches”.
This adaptable material had obvious benefits for a commercial organisation that wished to make an impact without extravagant expense.
Its unusual layout was put to practical use. Each floor was a triangular open-plan workshop with an office at the apex.
The modern fifth storey is unfortunate.
For years now its lower storeys have been occupied by a succession of restaurants. The elaborate cupola is sprouting vegetation.
This fine ornament to Birmingham’s streetscape is clearly underused.
For details of Mike Higginbottom’s Birmingham’s Heritage lecture, please click here.
For details of Mike Higginbottom’s lecture Survivals & Revivals: past views of English architecture, please click here.