It’s a pity that the George and Dragon pub on Highgate in Beverley was renamed the “Monks’ Walk” because while medieval Beverley may have been black with vicars, crawling with canons and full of friars, the monks remained firmly in their monasteries.
The Dominican friars, who came to Beverley by 1210, were based at what is now called the Old Friary. The site of its church was intersected by the railway line in 1846, but the surviving building contains religious wall-paintings which date from shortly before or soon after the Reformation.
When the factory buildings surrounding it were cleared in the 1980s, the Old Friary was converted into a Youth Hostel: http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/beverley-friary.
The result is a beautifully tactful extension, which is clearly modern and entirely appropriate.
The 80-page, A4 handbook for the 2016 ‘Humber Heritage’ tour, with text, photographs, maps and a reading list, is available for purchase, price £10.00 including postage and packing. To order a copy, please click here or, if you prefer, send a cheque, payable to Mike Higginbottom, to 63 Vivian Road, Sheffield, S5 6WJ.