Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-1852) was the first and foremost architect of the Victorian Gothic Revival. Because of the link with his patron, John, 16th Earl of Shrewsbury (1791-1852), many of Pugin’s significant buildings are in the North Midlands.
This tour, based in Stoke-on-Trent, made it possible to see most of Pugin’s major work for the Earl, including Alton Towers, Alton Castle and the great parish church of St Giles’, Cheadle.
There were visits to other Pugin churches, such as St Mary’s Church, Derby, St Barnabas’ Cathedral, Nottingham and St Chad’s Cathedral, Birmingham and to see the exterior of St Wilfrid’s College, Cotton.
To illustrate Pugin’s influence on later Victorian architects, the itinerary included George Frederick Bodley’s magnificent Church of the Holy Angels, Hoar Cross and George Edmund Street’s All Saints’ Church, Denstone.
The 56-page handbook describes all these sites, setting them in the context of Pugin’s career and influence. For further information about some of these buildings, please click here.
If you prefer not to use the PayPal button above, please send a cheque for £10.00 per copy payable to Mike Higginbottom at 63 Vivian Road, Sheffield, S5 6WJ.
Contact: 0114-242-0951 or 07946-650672 or firstname.lastname@example.org